Skip to main content

Love on the Brain Book Review


I picked up Love on the Brain on a whim during a slow Sunday, expecting a cute distraction. What I got instead was the kind of book that makes you laugh out loud on public transit and then immediately text your best friend a screenshot of a paragraph that hit too close to home.

Bee Königswasser is a neuroscientist navigating a hostile, male-dominated workplace, and if you've ever sat in a meeting watching a man take credit for your idea, you will feel this book in your bones. But the real magic is Levi Ward — her supposed nemesis-turned-boss, who is somehow terrifying and soft at the same time. 

Ali Hazelwood has this gift for writing men who are competent and a little emotionally wrecked, which, as a woman who has read her fair share of romance heroes, is a refreshing change from the brooding-for-no-reason archetype.

What surprised me most wasn't the romance (though the slow burn is deliciously frustrating in the best way) — it was how much the book had to say about ambition, self-doubt, and the specific exhaustion of being underestimated professionally while also being expected to smile about it. I found myself dog-earing pages, not for the kissing scenes, but for the lines that sounded like something I'd think at 2am about my own career.

It's smart without being pretentious, funny without undercutting its own stakes, and genuinely swoony in a way that snuck up on me. I finished it in two sittings and immediately wanted to hand it to every woman in my life who's ever felt like she had to work twice as hard to be taken half as seriously.

If you want a romance that respects your brain as much as your heart, this one's worth the shelf space.

 


Thank you for reading!

👉This post contains an affiliate link. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn a few coins from qualifying purchases. Thank you.


About the Author

Meet Michelle! During the week, she's a dedicated office professional. Outside of work, Michelle immerses herself in pop culture and celebrity memoirs, always up-to-date with the latest buzz. She has a keen eye for home décor and loves
transforming spaces with her DIY hobbies. An avid reader, Michelle enjoys diving into great books and sharing her favorite finds. Her passion for creativity and design makes her blog posts a source of inspiration and joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Ali Hazelwood's "Deep End" Made Me Want to Throw My Kindle... In the Best Way Possible

Why Ali Hazelwood's "Deep End" Made Me Want to Throw My Kindle... In the Best Way Possible 📚💦 Posted by Jenna | Romance Reader & Professional Procrastinator The Setup: NASA Meets Pool Party Gone Wrong 🚀 So, I picked up Deep End thinking I was getting a cute poolside romance. Instead, Ali Hazelwood served me a full-course meal of emotional chaos with a side of "why-am-I-crying-over-fictional-people-again?" Our heroine is basically if Hermione Granger decided to become a competitive swimmer instead of saving wizards. She's got that same "I-must-excel-at-everything-or-I'll-spontaneously-combust" energy that hits a little too close to home for those of us who color-code our grocery lists. The Love Interest: Swoon City Population: Me 💕 The male lead? Chef's kiss He's got that perfect blend of supportive boyfriend material and "I-could-bench-press-a-small-car" vibes. Think Ryan Gosling in The Notebook but with better com...

East of Eden Book Review: A Riveting Tale of Love, Sin, and Redemption

  East of Eden Book Review: A Riveting Tale of Love, Sin, and Redemption John Steinbeck’s magnum opus, "East of Eden," is not just a book; it's an odyssey through the tangled web of human nature, a journey you won’t soon forget. Prepare to be captivated, moved, and utterly transformed by the sheer brilliance of Steinbeck’s storytelling.   Set against the backdrop of California’s Salinas Valley, "East of Eden" weaves a tapestry of intergenerational drama, exploring the timeless themes of good and evil, love and betrayal, and the eternal struggle for redemption.  At its core, it’s a story about the choices we make and the consequences they entail—a poignant reminder that we all possess the power to shape our destinies, for better or for worse.   Steinbeck’s characters are as complex and vivid as the landscapes they inhabit. From the enigmatic patriarch Adam Trask to the charismatic and troubled Cathy Ames, each character is meticulously crafted, their flaws and vi...

Book Review: Lights Out: An Into Darkness Novel by Navessa Allen

Book Review:  Lights Out: An Into Darkness Novel by Navessa Allen Or: How to Accidentally Get Emotionally Attached to a Hot Mess in a Dystopian Wasteland Let me start by saying I picked this book up because the cover screamed “moody post-apocalyptic romance” and I was emotionally in the mood to watch the world burn — just not literally (looking at you, 2020). Also, my husband was watching a documentary about concrete. Again. So I needed an escape. Enter Lights Out — Navessa Allen drops us into a world so bleak it makes my toddler’s tantrum in Target last week look like a Disney short. The government’s gone, the electricity’s gone, and surprise!  So has any illusion that humans will behave decently without air conditioning. Our heroine, who I’ll refer to as Sass Apocalypse Barbie, is a badass survivor with a moral compass that sometimes points north-ish… but only if there’s whiskey. Plot-wise , it’s part survival horror, part slow-burn romance, and part “holy crap, did t...