Skip to main content

Why Ali Hazelwood's "Deep End" Made Me Want to Throw My Kindle... In the Best Way Possible


Why Ali Hazelwood's "Deep End" Made Me Want to Throw My Kindle... In the Best Way Possible 📚💦

Posted by Jenna | Romance Reader & Professional Procrastinator



The Setup: NASA Meets Pool Party Gone Wrong 🚀

So, I picked up Deep End thinking I was getting a cute poolside romance. Instead, Ali Hazelwood served me a full-course meal of emotional chaos with a side of "why-am-I-crying-over-fictional-people-again?"

Our heroine is basically if Hermione Granger decided to become a competitive swimmer instead of saving wizards. She's got that same "I-must-excel-at-everything-or-I'll-spontaneously-combust" energy that hits a little too close to home for those of us who color-code our grocery lists.


The Love Interest: Swoon City Population: Me 💕

The male lead? Chef's kiss He's got that perfect blend of supportive boyfriend material and "I-could-bench-press-a-small-car" vibes. Think Ryan Gosling in The Notebook but with better communication skills and significantly less rain-soaked dramatic declarations.



Reality Check: When Fiction Hits Different 🎯

Here's where Hazelwood gets me – she writes characters who feel like they could be texting you right now asking if you want to split an appetizer. 

The way our protagonist spirals over career decisions? That's me every time I have to choose between Target's generic brand or name-brand cereal.

The swimming scenes are written with such intensity, I found myself holding my breath while reading on my couch. Which is ridiculous because the most athletic thing I did today was aggressively opening a pickle jar.


The Verdict: Dive Right In 🏊‍♀️

Deep End is comfort food in book form – familiar flavors with just enough spice to keep you interested. 

Whether you're team physical book (hello, aesthetic bookshelf photos), e-reader (no judgment for reading romance in public), or audiobook (perfect for pretending to exercise), this one's worth your time.

Sometimes we need stories that remind us it's okay to be messy, ambitious, and utterly human all at once. Plus, it's way cheaper than therapy.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨

Now excuse me while I go stare longingly at my community pool and pretend I have athletic coordination.


Your sassy book friend,

Jenna


👀👉This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

East of Eden Book Review: A Riveting Tale of Love, Sin, and Redemption

  East of Eden Book Review: A Riveting Tale of Love, Sin, and Redemption John Steinbeck’s magnum opus, "East of Eden," is not just a book; it's an odyssey through the tangled web of human nature, a journey you won’t soon forget. Prepare to be captivated, moved, and utterly transformed by the sheer brilliance of Steinbeck’s storytelling.   Set against the backdrop of California’s Salinas Valley, "East of Eden" weaves a tapestry of intergenerational drama, exploring the timeless themes of good and evil, love and betrayal, and the eternal struggle for redemption.  At its core, it’s a story about the choices we make and the consequences they entail—a poignant reminder that we all possess the power to shape our destinies, for better or for worse.   Steinbeck’s characters are as complex and vivid as the landscapes they inhabit. From the enigmatic patriarch Adam Trask to the charismatic and troubled Cathy Ames, each character is meticulously crafted, their flaws and vi...

Book Review: Lights Out: An Into Darkness Novel by Navessa Allen

Book Review:  Lights Out: An Into Darkness Novel by Navessa Allen Or: How to Accidentally Get Emotionally Attached to a Hot Mess in a Dystopian Wasteland Let me start by saying I picked this book up because the cover screamed “moody post-apocalyptic romance” and I was emotionally in the mood to watch the world burn — just not literally (looking at you, 2020). Also, my husband was watching a documentary about concrete. Again. So I needed an escape. Enter Lights Out — Navessa Allen drops us into a world so bleak it makes my toddler’s tantrum in Target last week look like a Disney short. The government’s gone, the electricity’s gone, and surprise!  So has any illusion that humans will behave decently without air conditioning. Our heroine, who I’ll refer to as Sass Apocalypse Barbie, is a badass survivor with a moral compass that sometimes points north-ish… but only if there’s whiskey. Plot-wise , it’s part survival horror, part slow-burn romance, and part “holy crap, did t...